Forums General Hard Floors
  • Topic: Hardwood and laminate cleaning

Back To Topics
    • October 29, 2012 11:18:49 AM EDT
    • Hardwood and laminate cleaning

I am thinking of adding this service to my menu.  I have a dvd from Interlink on their new wood cleaning system and it looks simple enough, but I would like to hear from anyone in the field that has actually used it.  What production rates are you getting?  Are the product results good?  ect.  Thanks for the input.

• October 29, 2012 12:19:23 PM EDT

Bridgepoint / Interlink Supply has two wood floor cleaning systems. One is a mechanical system that has been in use for a couple of decades. I provided this service when I was an owner / operator of a cleaning business.

The actually cleaning and recoating production rate was great. Since there would be a wait time to apply a second coat of finish, I could do 100 sq. ft. in about the same time as 1,000 sq. ft. This would be two to 2 1/2 hours.

The big drawback to this service was getting the room cleared of furnishings. I had asked customers to move whatever they could from the rooms prior to my arrival. Then I and my helper would move the larger items. IT reality, they seldom moved anything. I spent more time moving funriture in and out of rooms than cleaning and recoating - Until I started charging a separate fee for furinture moving.

The newer extraction method utilizes one of several machines (Dirt Dragon or Karcher floor scrubber or Lindhaus wood floor machine). These speed up the cleaning time. Because only 1 coat of the preservation finish is usually needed, there is no need to wait for dry time between coats. That really speeds up the process. What took 2 to 2 1/2 hours can now be done in 1 hour.

In case some don't know me, I do work in technical support and product development for Bridgepoint.

This post was edited by Scott Warrington at October 29, 2012 12:20:18 PM EDT
    • October 30, 2012 9:44:23 AM EDT

I have done a great deal of wood floor cleaning. tried interlink stuff and also the laminator stuff. Laminator was easier with better results but they have since been hard to find. Usual charge is $1.25/sf which allows me $100-200/hour. I always apply 2 coats of finish, one doesn't seem like enough. Scott is correct, the biggest bag of ag is the furniture moving. Make sure to inform client what to expect in terms of results. Cleaning and recoating will not substitute for sanding.Many floors are beyond just cleaning.

• October 31, 2012 6:42:53 PM EDT

We use Basic Coatings products, or Bona products, Both have been in the wood floor care business for ever they both have facilites where you can go and learn the trade, each have the proper chemicals that will keep floors looking fantastic and keep their warrantees in place. Personally I want a deal with a comany that makes products that go down in such places are basketball courts, and bowling alleys

• October 31, 2012 6:59:37 PM EDT

We've been doing wood floors for about 6 years now. We started with basic coatings tycoat system with the dirt dragon, the problem is the difficulty in applying their finish. We have sinnce switched to Laminators Plus (Restoration) which is the coating we use now but still use the Dirt Dragon and Basic Coatings IFT and Squeeky cleaning products.  We recently purchased the newer style dirt dragon because the old stlye one was worn out and obsolete. I can say the new style dirt dragon is  amuch better machine and does a great job at getting the floors clean. Many systems don't really clean the floor that well, The Dirt Dragon system works.

We always do a test area before proceeding, there are wax, and some of the new mop n glo finishes that will give you a hard time. So if you pre test you can pass on htese floors and refer them to a refinishing company for sanding and recoat. We also check the floors with a white towel test prior to applying finish, some wood floors are filthy and nedd extra passes, or we will pre scrub them with a floor buffer and a red pad.

Any questions email me and I would be glad to help.

chet@chetscleaning.com

• November 4, 2012 10:41:24 AM EST

If you read the diretions on streetshoe  you can add X amount to water per gallon, this makes it easier to apply, there are also a few techniques to make it easy to apply

• March 29, 2014 2:52:16 PM EDT

Water puddles, abrasive cleaning solutions and wax are some of the items that can damage your laminate flooring and can cause it to lose its finish. One of the most effective ways of keeping a laminate floor clean is by understanding its limitations. Keep your floor free from dirt and other impurities, therefore you should mop it with a dry cloth, or vacuum it regularly.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel